This page has moved to a new address.

Cutting the Emotional Clutter

Me and My Munchkin: Cutting the Emotional Clutter

Thursday 16 August 2012

Cutting the Emotional Clutter

I have been spending the last couple of months clearing the physical clutter in my home. I started a clean out that you can read about here. It has taken me a little longer than I had hoped, but slowly I am getting there. There is another kind of clutter that I hadn't really thought about until today, that is so much more important.

Emotional clutter.

I am carrying around grudges, hopes and wishes that will never come true, fears and regrets that I need to clear out of my life in order to live happily.

Here is how I am clearing the emotional clutter from my head.

1. Make a list.
Whether it's a to-do list, a to-call list, a to-buy list or a to-organise list. Get those things down on paper, and out of the never ending circle in your head.

{image source}
2. Clear out the drama.
If there is one thing I hate, it's drama. I know that I will always have some amount of drama in my life, and that's ok. I have, however worked hard to cut those people out of my life who just simply bring drama with them every day. If I can't cut them out (for instance my sister) I cut myself off from the drama. I refuse to converse about it and remove myself from the situation if I have to.

3. Leave behind the past.
There are people in my past that are best left there. I would love these people in my present and future, but for various reasons, I need to let go of them and leave them behind and move on. The same goes for situations that have happened. Leave them in the past. Don't keep re-living them.

4. Finish what you've started, or let it go.
I have some half finished projects throughout the house (and my life) that I am making plans to finish, or trying to let them go. The same goes for goals. They aren't all appropriate anymore, and I need to decide whether they are still goals of mine.

{image source}
5. Learn to let go of what you can't control.
This is something that I am terrible at, but I have made massive progress with in the last year. There are so many situations that I just cannot control, such as having to communicate with Master A's dad, or living at home with my parents. If you can't control the situation, what is the point in worrying about it? If you can't change the direction of the wind, adjust your sails.

6. Take control of the chaos.
When your physical environment is in chaos, you're likely to be stressed and exhausted. Put on a load of washing, sit down and plan out your meals for the rest of the week, make a start on that pile of paperwork sitting on your desk. Give yourself room to breathe. Sit down with a pen and paper and have a think about what it is that you need to be better organised with. For me it's daily and weekly routines. Everything is still a bit up in the air and it's making me stressed. Take control of the chaos, and feel better.

7. Eat healthy and exercise.
How guilty do you feel after devouring your third cupcake? You don't want that guilt. Eat healthy (with treats of course) and exercise daily. I only walk, but find it's a great time to let my mind wander, and the fresh air clears it.

8. Clear out inboxes, in trays and contacts lists
Go through your email and clean it out. Go through your contacts list and delete old and unwanted phone numbers. A big one? Go through your Facebook friends list and clean that out. People you haven't seen since high school that you only friended to have a bit of a nosy, old boyfriends you never talk to, that friend of a friend of a friend that you met that one time out at dinner. What's the point in seeing their day to day lives when you don't even know them anymore?

{image source}
9. Dream big.
Write down your hopes and dreams for the future. Make them attainable though. I certainly won't be putting down the hope that someone from my past will all of a sudden show up and want to be a part of my life again! I love doing this every now and then. Where would you like to go for a holiday? What sort of people do you want in your life? Do you like your career, or is it time for a change? From this, you can make goals. And that's where the fun begins!

10. If you have more emotional clutter than you know how to deal with, see a counselor.
Sometimes you just need to let it out. Counselors can be a great help, and they have been helping me get through my custody issues. Speak to your GP or ask around. Someone you know may know of a great counselor you can see.

So here I go, trying to eliminate the emotional clutter in my head.

Do you struggle with emotional clutter at times?
How do you deal with it?


It's finally Friday so I am flogging my blog over at With Some Grace and Flashing it at Twinkle in the Eye! Get on over and check them out!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 16 August 2012 at 09:15 , Blogger Kel said...

Number 5 is a big one, one I struggle with constantly, but it has to be done! Great list Chrissie, very good advice x

 
At 17 August 2012 at 08:43 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I struggle big time with number 5 too. We always know what we need to do, though have a hard time doing it.
Chrissie xx

 
At 17 August 2012 at 11:49 , Anonymous CJWunsch said...

With my second bub on the way I've been trying to get some things in order in my life too. Physically and emotionally, and it's not always as easy as the self-help books say. I have trouble with the simple ones, like just clearing out my inbox! What if I NEED that useless bit of spam tomorrow? The one that's been sitting there for three months doing nothing...

Yeah I need to get a grip and start throwing stuff out...

 
At 17 August 2012 at 15:51 , Blogger SarahMummy said...

Good for you! What a great idea. Sounds like it will be a long and slow process, but will be worth it in the end. Good luck!

 
At 17 August 2012 at 20:20 , Blogger Grace said...

Great post, Chrissie! Just by creating this list, you're already well and truly on your way to decluttering.
I need to try and take control of the chaos. Or more importantly, just flow with it, instead of fight against it. The madness of motherhood is inevitable. I'm slowly learning to roll with the punches.

 
At 17 August 2012 at 22:18 , Blogger bloggingmumof3 said...

i have been doing a bit of tht myself this week. makes a huge difference.

 
At 18 August 2012 at 11:25 , Blogger Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

This is a really good post - spring cleaning your emotional life. Often easier said than done, but necessary all the same.

 
At 18 August 2012 at 14:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!
I have written these down, and starting now!! Sometimes it's good to read that some one else is at a similar point, and you have given me a bit of direction of where to next.
I'm enjoying reading your blog.

 
At 18 August 2012 at 20:03 , Anonymous Shari said...

Really sound advice Chrissie! Thanks for reminding me of some things I need to focus on as I can be much better at thinking than doing ;)

 
At 18 August 2012 at 21:00 , Blogger Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

Just letting you know you will be one of the featured posts next week for Flash Blog Friday. Second time around - that's a first!

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:51 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It really isn't as easy as the books say is it? Especially when emotions are involved. Good luck with sorting things out for yourself in time for bubs to arrive!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:54 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I have been trying so hard to learn to go with the flow. It can be so hard at times can't it! Especially when everything gets on top of you. I have been noticing though, in the couple of days I've been putting this into practice, I have been alot more go with the flow!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:54 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It really does, doesn't it? Good on you!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:56 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks Bree, I love the term "spring clean"! And I agree it is totally necessary to keep things going smoothly in your head!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:56 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Great to see you are putting them to use! It really does help clear your head. Good luck!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:58 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Your welcome Shari! It's great to see people are taking it on board and putting it to use!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 August 2012 at 19:58 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks so much Bree! I feel just a little special!
Chrissie xx

 
At 20 August 2012 at 12:09 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks! It will definitely be worth it in the end. Emotional clutter takes up so much energy and is a happiness sucker. Time to get rid of it!
Chrissie xx

 
At 22 August 2012 at 21:10 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

#5 reminds me of a line in a movie the kids had on the other day - 'Change what you can, accept what you can't' --- The Land before time.
The line kept repeating over and over again in my head and I know this probably sounds weird but to be honest it couldn't have come at a better time. We've had a bad month with losing a couple of loved ones and everything else life has thrown at us and it has helped me to get thru without too many tears.
Thanks for writing this post hun, there's plenty of emotional clutter that I can dispose of :)

 
At 24 August 2012 at 17:27 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Big hugs to you lovely, I hope that you are able to clear some of your emotional clutter and feel so much happier.
Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home