This page has moved to a new address.

Slowing Down

Me and My Munchkin: Slowing Down

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Slowing Down

I have always admired country towns. They have such a sense of character and community, and it always feels so different to living in the busy city.

Mr M and I took an overnight trip down to the Fleurieu Peninsula on the weekend to visit his family. I organised to leave Master A with my parents for the night (doing a little happy dance) packed up the car and started on the hour and a half drive down south.

Goolwa Beach
When I got there the first thing I noticed was the gorgeous beaches. Much rougher than the beaches where I live, they are surf beaches. Now I have seen Jaws way too many times to go jumping into waters like this, but it was fun and maybe a little romantic to walk along the shore hand in hand, my head on his shoulder... ok so it wasn't like that, but it certainly was nice.

The second thing I noticed when meeting Mr M's family for the first time, was how relaxed they all are. I start every day in full-on-mode. From the moment I wake til the moment I go to bed it is go, go, go.

"Need to make sure that this is done before dinner."

"Have to go to the shops and get this before they close."

"Make sure I don't forget to do this or the whole world might end."

When was the last time I just pottered around the house or garden, having a BBQ with family and friends, taking the dog for a stroll down the beach, just generally enjoying life and having fun?

I'll let you in on a little secret. Now, don't get too shocked, but I am a total stress head. I worry about everything, and I go through life at about 110km an hour. As I watched people go about their daily lives in such relaxed ways it made me realize how much I want that kind of lifestyle, for me and Master A.

It scares me just how much Master A is like me. He's clumsy, loves to talk and definitely has a sweet tooth, all just like his Mummy. One thing that I would rather he didn't inherit from me, would be my stressed out attitude. I want him to take the time to enjoy life, not rush through it like he has to race to the next finish line.

"Why are you rushing everywhere? The world isn't going to close!"

I could not remember where I read that quote if my life depended on it, but it was the very wise words of a child no older than about six. Why is it that we learn to grow up and spend our "down time" rushing around, trying to get everything finished? Why do we spend so much time at the shops, buying things?

One thing I noticed was that at 9pm on Saturday night, the only thing open in the town was one of the few service stations. All of the shops, service stations, Subway were all closed. Yet the McDonalds where I live is open 24 hours.

The people that I had the pleasure of spending the weekend with seemed to take the attitude of "work to live" rather than "live to work". It's all about the family.

The beautiful Horseshoe Bay
I guess my question is, when did we become such a busy and stressed society that can't even take the time to have a lazy breakfast with family on a Sunday morning, and how do I convert my behaviour, in order to save myself and my child from a life of stress, speed and demands?

When was the last time you had a mini-getaway?
Do you rush through life, or take the time to take "romantic" walks along the beach?


Linking up with the ever so fabulous Jess for IBOT

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

At 16 October 2012 at 08:34 , Blogger Bachelormum said...

I live an incredibly stressed life as a full time single mum, but I do always find time for lazy breakfasts, walks on the beach ... This morning my daughter and I got up really early to go for a jog (her on scooter) and a swim. She didn't want to go but when we got down there we saw a whale!!! It's this sort of experience that keeps,life real for me, makes it special, rsther than all hard slog and worry. On saying that ... I'm late for work ... Aaargh. :-)

 
At 16 October 2012 at 09:33 , Blogger Bright Shiny Apples said...

ohh I love lazy breakfasts!!

Perth has just opened up Sunday Trading.. and its split people down the middle.. I love it.. I think its great we're able to go out as a family and do the weekly shopping, rather than running around during the week when we don't have time.. I like that we can decide as a family what to do not what society decides we should do..

but then on the other hand.. people who disagree with me say Sunday is family time not going out and spending money time...

I do like a nice stroll on the beach on a sunday!

#teamIBOT was here :)

 
At 16 October 2012 at 09:35 , Blogger Natalie said...

Every time I step onto Goolwa Beach I feel I have come home. It's the perfect place to slow down, to walk and potter and poke in shops, to breathe in the crisp air and absorb the beauty of the world around you. I'm glad you loved being there xx

 
At 16 October 2012 at 09:58 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

What a gorgeous way to spend your morning! Good on you for getting out there and spending a little time with your little one. It's so hard when you are doing it on your own.
Chrissie xx

 
At 16 October 2012 at 10:00 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I can't remember a time when there wasn't Sunday trading here in SA. Kmart alone opens from 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, with some supermarkets being open 6am til midnight. When will we chill out and realise it's not all about how much we can fit in to one day?
Chrissie xx

 
At 16 October 2012 at 10:03 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It really was a gorgeous beach, it's such a different atmosphere in Goolwa to what I'm used to. I loved it!
Chrissie xx

 
At 16 October 2012 at 13:06 , Anonymous Housewife in Heels said...

Glad you had a relaxing get away... I'm a bit like you, a total stress head and always in a rush.... I definitely need to remind myself to slow down and have more lazy days.

 
At 16 October 2012 at 19:02 , Blogger School of Mum said...

My husband is sooo relaxed and the complete opposite of me. This reminded me of myself so much! I only know one speed - fast. So due for a mini get-away too. Some of us need to make a more concious decision to slow down and relax! I know it's worth it when I do.

 
At 16 October 2012 at 19:22 , Anonymous Deb @ home life simplified said...

Your weekend away sounds wonderful - i hope you slow down a bit and enjoy things too xx

 
At 16 October 2012 at 20:20 , Anonymous Mumabulous said...

There is something about being near water that makes you relax and slow down. Your photos are lovely and the color of the ocean is stunning.

 
At 16 October 2012 at 21:58 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend hun. The beach looks beautiful!! We try and get away at least once a year. We're heading to QLD for a few days soon and I can't wait! I'm a stress head too, but I've made a conscious decision to slow down these past couple of years. No more rat race for us!

 
At 17 October 2012 at 08:15 , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a bit in between, I do rush around alot, but also enjoy just doing nothing. Beach looks so deserted, how lovely for a stroll!

 
At 17 October 2012 at 12:06 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It is definitely worth it I reckon! For our own sanity!
Chrissie xx

 
At 17 October 2012 at 12:07 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Go for it! I never used to go away anywhere, but now planning on doing it on a regular basis. And take it easy on weekends!
Chrissie xx

 
At 17 October 2012 at 12:08 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks Deb, really need to!
Chrissie xx

 
At 17 October 2012 at 12:08 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Funnily enough I live near the beach though! And still don't know how to slow down! Life just gets too much sometimes though and I'm done with it!
Chrissie xx

 
At 17 October 2012 at 12:09 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oooh I want to see photos from QLD! With 4 kids you need to slow down and enjoy the roses. Good on you!
Chrissie xx

 
At 17 October 2012 at 12:10 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It was actually really packed! Still gorgeous though. I'm a people watcher so it was nice to see all the families enjoying themselves.
Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home