This page has moved to a new address.

The Clean Out

Me and My Munchkin: The Clean Out

Tuesday 19 June 2012

The Clean Out

{image source}
Clutter is such an ugly word. Being such an organise-freak like I am, the word 'clutter' makes me cringe. Unfortunately, it is not something that I can avoid. I am staying with my parents, and my dad is somewhat of a hoarder. It is challenging to live with, and probably the reason why I am as 'anal' as I am.

De-cluttering, sorting and purging has always been a way for me to relax. If I was stressed, upset, or just feeling plain out of control, I would pick a room and go for it. Being that the majority of of my belongings are now either in storage in my parents garage (amongst my dad's recent purchases) or packed into my storage unit, de-cluttering is not as simple of a task as it used to be.

But, as they say, I must soldier on.

I will clear out the remaining junk that I still own, and no longer need, starting with a box at a time. I figured I would start with the garage. I know there is so much out there, just have no idea what it is.

I have read so many books out there about cleaning out, de-cluttering, living a life with less stuff, and have picked up 2 main points from all of these books:

  1. You can only keep as much stuff as you have the room for. If you only have room for 2 magazine holders on your bookshelf, and those holders are full, you need to get rid of some magazines, rather than buy more magazine holders.
  2. When starting a purge, have a sale box, a borrowed items box, and a garbage bag. I also keep a bag for giveaway items, to go to good will. 
I keep items to sell in plastic tubs. This way they are contained, and I still know where to find things when they sell. One problem that I run into, and I know that others do too, is knowing when something is worth keeping in your house, taking up space, and the time to list it for sale on eBay or Gumtree, only to make a small amount of money on it. 

I have decided that after this big clean out, a garage sale is more appropriate. I can put everything out, whatever doesn't sell will either go to good-will, or if I think that I could sell it for more than $5 online, then I will do so and put the money onto debts. 
I would love a little inspiration. It has been quite awhile since I have been able to do a clean out, and would love to see any photos, blog posts, experiences, anything that will give me and everyone else a little inspiration to get out and do this. Please upload any photos to the Facebook page, or comment with any stories and leave a link to any blog posts.

Do you need to do a clean out at your house?
What is your best tip when doing a clean out or purge?


Linking up with Diary of a SAHM for IBOT



Also linking up with Twinkle in the Eye for Flash Blog Friday

Labels:

22 Comments:

At 19 June 2012 at 08:38 , Anonymous Ai Sakura said...

I would love to have a big clean out too! Those are 2 impt tips and I'm looking forward to more posts on decluttering :)

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

 
At 19 June 2012 at 09:12 , Blogger Karen said...

I soooo have to get hubby to read your lovely post - he is the hoarder in our home :)

 
At 19 June 2012 at 09:34 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I know that it's technically the wrong time of the year to be doing a clean, but there really is no time like the present. Just pick a cupboard and go for it!
Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 09:35 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh Karen I really do think it can be a bit of a male thing. Though women can be just as bad! Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 09:36 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm slowly learning to live with less. It feels SO good to get rid of stuff! 'Everything has a place' is such a simple idea that has helped me immensly in my organising journey.

 
At 19 June 2012 at 12:31 , Blogger Redcliffe Style said...

I can't stand disorder but I have learnt to accept a little due to the children and a messy husband. I have trained them all pretty well but I had to compromise a little too. If I pick something up and wonder if I need it or not, I toss or donate it. My theory is "if I have to think about it, I don't really need it' Rachel x

 
At 19 June 2012 at 12:33 , Blogger B said...

I am on the verge of a clean out. I have had ENOUGH! I am such a clean and tidy person, but somehow over the past little while there is stuff everywhere!! I am gearing up for a good old fashioned clean out - inc garage sale at the end.

This is such a great post! I will be revisiting it for sure!

Thanks!

 
At 19 June 2012 at 13:48 , Blogger Emily said...

Best tip: be brutal! If you're scared, pack things away in a little-used room or garage. If you haven't gone back for them in six months, chuck them. Or donate them. But you obviously don't miss them.

 
At 19 June 2012 at 16:01 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Doesn't it feel so empowering? i do love it. I am of the belief that if it doesn't have a home, it goes. Unfortunately I have never lived with someone else who shares that same view! Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 16:04 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

That's a good way to look at it. Of course with children around (and men) you have to accept a bit of mess. However constant "stuff" just hanging around, not needed and taking up space is hard, and makes it hard to be organised. Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 16:06 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

That's the point I'm at. I am a firm believer of if there is chaos and disruption in one part of your life, it is most likely in most areas of your life. And there is definitely a bit more chaos than I like going on, so it's time to simplify everything, and make life easier! I would love you to keep us updated on your clean out. Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 16:07 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh I usually am pretty brutal. The trouble I have is I don't really have anywhere to pack things away. My storage unit is full as is my parents house and garage. It will all just have to go! Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 21:26 , Blogger EssentiallyJess said...

I was just saying to boatman today, how excited I am for the school holidays because we will be doing a big spring clean! My kids have so many toys they don't okay with, and clothes that don't fit, and I want to move them on!

 
At 19 June 2012 at 21:38 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

The story of my life :) I've been brutal with the decluttering and organising this past year. I've got the two older kids on board now. The husband's happy to part with anything that's not his. Although he did surprise me last week and got rid of a couple of bags of clothes.

Anything that isn't getting used goes. If it doesn't fit it goes. If the kids get new toys they need to pick something to go to charity. One in one out.

Good luck with ur clean out. It's such a liberating feeling :)

 
At 20 June 2012 at 14:00 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Sounds like a plan! I'm so overwhelmed and don't know where to start so making a to-do list as I write this. Come up with a plan of action. Good luck with your spring clean! Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 
At 20 June 2012 at 14:02 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

That's great you have the kids on board! And the men are always happy to part with things.. until it comes to their own stuff :)

I am so looking forward to feeling lighter and actually knowing what it is that I own. I can't actually remember what I took in the split and that was 8 months ago! It was such a rush to get it out and I didn't even pack half of it so I have no idea what I have!
Thanks for commenting :)
Chrissie xx

 
At 22 June 2012 at 08:23 , Anonymous momto8blog said...

great useful post!! I am the queen of declutter...if it is on the floor, i throw it out!!
I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.
good luck!

 
At 22 June 2012 at 10:32 , Blogger Francesca said...

Great post! I am a hoarder and I struggle to de-clutter. I find for me, it's easier to de-clutter a little at a time. Right now, it's baby clothes. I'm saving one thing for each child in each size and the rest goes to Vinnies.

 
At 22 June 2012 at 13:42 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Hi there and welcome! I am about to sit down and go through all the linkies now so will check out your post! Good to see another de-clutterer out there!
Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 
At 22 June 2012 at 13:43 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Hi Francesca, whatever works for you, do it! Some people do best with little bits at a time, others with a whole weekend project. Good work on the clothes by the way! Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 
At 22 June 2012 at 16:18 , Blogger Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

My sister and I have just booked ourselves in for a car boot sale. I like you find it therapeutic to purge! It totally stresses my husband when I get in 'those' moods. I think he believes he's next to go! Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday.

 
At 23 June 2012 at 19:52 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It is therapeutic isn't it? I have always thought that, much to everyone else's confusion! Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home